What is service design?
Based on the principle ‘Do the hard work to make it simple’, gov.uk looks beyond the user-friendliness of their website. With service design they redesign the services themselves. Many services have a history of decades and with many services the organisation of these services is exactly the same as in the past. This leads to situations in which a citizen has to go to 3 ministries for a single question and sometimes has to fill in 8 forms. Service design does not focus on the organization, but on the ‘user need’: how can we design a service that best meets the needs of the customer?
Principles of service design
Lou has drawn up 15 principles that service design in the government must comply with.
- 15 principles of good service design
- The future of public service design Louise Downe, UX London 2018
- What is Service Design?
About Lou Downe
- Director of design for planing and land for the UK Government
- Former Director of Design and Service Standards for the UK Government, based at GDS.
- Founder of service design in government.
- Voted one of the UKs top 50 creative leaders, and one of world’s 100 most influential people in digital government.